Contents and Guidance
The Toolkit has been designed so it can be
used by anyone working in a public service environment
• has responsibility for managing risk
• provides oversight to the management of risk
• has been tasked with implementing a
management of risk approach across their organisation
• has been tasked with improving management of
risk across their organisation or a particular business activity
e.g. a programme or project
• would like to ensure their organisation’s
current management of risk approach is aligned to best
The Toolkit is based on recognised risk
management standards and organised into two sections.
Section 1 introduces the
toolkit, provides some definitions, outlines the risk management
landscape and relevant risk management standards / guidelines and
introduces the concept of risk management maturity.
Section 2 outlines the
considerations and steps that need to be taken to implement a
management of risk approach, including:
• governance and infrastructure
• risk management process
• integration of risk management
• risk management culture
• continuous improvement.
The Appendices provide
additional support materials.
Each section includes some common elements to
help the reader understand important concepts or highlight specific